Friday, February 06, 2004
Possessed?
There’s one anomalous crime report last week: the story of a young woman who grabbed somebody’s one-year-old kid as they were strolling by the baywalk or something and hurled the kid into the fetid waters of Manila Bay, prompting the father of the baby (he was nearby) to dive into the murk a la rescue 911 and drown to his death fast. The woman was said to have been possessed. “Satan instructed me to do it,” she alleged, or was quoted as.
I hazard to say the woman was not possessed. The tell-tale signs of demonic possession are the ff.: eyes sharpening like knives, mouth frothing like a horse’s, body slithering on the floor like a snake thrown into a hydrochloric acid bath, and a physical energy so overpowering even ten burly men wouldn’t be able to restrain. I can say this because I saw one such case first-hand.
When the unlikely assassin’s mug was shown on TV, she looked perfectly okay (none of the symptoms mentioned). I think what she needed was DSM-III and Wechsler Scale assessment.
***
Another anomaly: Baby Arenas says she ain’t a kiss-n-tell but she’s publishing a tell-all book!?
(Scandalous side comment: In this country, you have no privacy, so you can’t have a right to privacy. I’m not referring to Mr. Pidal, hehehe.)